Friday, February 1, 2008

I'm BACK!!

After a looooong break with job changes and freelance work I'm back blogging again. I'm going to try and keep my blogs now to all my experiments in AIR and Actionscript 3 and post the results whenever I can.

My first post back is about a little problem that had me pulling my hair (what I have left of it) out. What should've taken me about 10 minutes took over 3 hours! I'm hoping this may help someone else out and save them the aggrevation. It has to do with the latest AIR beta 3 update available at adobe labs.

Being the impatient person I am, I always love to play with the lastes toys, I downloaded the latest AIR beta update. The first thing you have to know is that you HAVE to update your Flash CS3 to Flash 9.0.2. That took me about two attempts to install the update to figure out (the updater just states something along the lines of "This program does not qualify for this update.".. very helpful). After that was complete the updater worked, but none of my AIR apps would compile it kept giving me the error that a class couldn't be found. That really confused me because I knew I had updated everything. I then tried the command in Flash "AIR - Create AIR file" which still produced the same error. Now I was really confused. After some searches on Adobe labs, it stated that this error will only occur on the first compile... which wasn't happening (at least for me). After tinkering around I finally noticed that on another file that did compile the following was missing from the publish settings in the Actionscript 3.0 classpaths:


$(AppConfig)/ActionScript 3.0 AIR 1.0/Classes

After I added that to my newly created app, everything compiled correctly. Now I just hope Adobe makes things a little easier when version 1 is released.

0 comments: